Eating after a tough workout is one of the most important practices that many women ignore. Consuming healthy carbs and protein after working out help repair your muscles that you just worked and also replace the energy you just used up. Not eating after working out can actually make your muscles weaker and be detrimental to your overall health.
Now of course that doesn’t mean you should reach for a piece of cake after your workout but here are some healthy, satisfying snacks you can eat post-exercise.
- Greek Yogurt: This snack is great because it is a good source of protein which your muscles crave after working out. You can add fresh fruit and granola to make it more filling.
- Protein Powder/Protein Bar: These are great options if you need a quick snack after hitting the gym. Drinking a protein shake or eating a protein bar can help your body refuel and you can throw it in your gym bag easily.
- Turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread: Making a quick sandwich is an easy way to make sure you are getting both protein and carbs. Trade the mayo for a healthier condiment such as mustard or hummus and add some spinach and tomatoes!
- Chocolate milk: It may come as a surprise, but chocolate milk is one of the best things you can have post-workout. It has both protein and carbs and helps replenish your body quickly. And it’s great for that sweet tooth!
- Hummus: Hummus is a protein packed snack and a great option for vegetarians out there. Pair it with some whole wheat pita to get some carbs in as well.
Many avoid eating after a workout because they don’t want to eat the calories they just burned. In reality, that is a dangerous practice and it won’t make you any healthier or more fit. Eating the right snacks after working out gives you more energy and improves your body. What are some of your favorite post-workout meals?